[OM] (Fwd) A.Word.A.Day--oniomania

Subject: [OM] (Fwd) A.Word.A.Day--oniomania
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 01:22:06 -0400
Finally a word that encompasses zuikoholism....

tOM

Date sent:              Mon, 26 Aug 2002 00:03:10 -0400
From:                   Wordsmith <wsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:                     linguaphile@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:                A.Word.A.Day--oniomania

oniomania (O-nee-uh-MAY-nee-uh, MAYN-yuh) noun

  Compulsive shopping; excessive, uncontrollable desire to buy things.

[From Latin, from Greek xnios (for sale), from onos (price) + -mania.]

"Usually, oniomania leads to financial problems, such as overspending on
credit cards and bad credit ratings."
        Just Ask Us, Current Health 2 (Highland Park, Illinois), Mar 2, 2001.

"Like other compulsive disorders, scientists are working on a cure for
oniomania. And according to a report in HealthScout, it could be just
around the corner. At Stanford University, researchers are testing a drug
to treat a shopaholic's desire to spend."
        Phenomena, Ottawa Citizen (Canada), Nov 25, 2000.

Many years ago, when I came to the US to study, I quickly realized that the
laws of economics don't apply here. When you buy something, you actually
save, rather than spend. The more you buy, the more you save. Buy And Save
... isn't there something wonderful about this whole thing? I figured that
if I bought a new car every month, the money I saved as a result would
easily pay for my graduate school. I marveled at the compassion and
generosity of the shopkeepers who were willing to forgo as much as 70, 80
or even 900f the price of things several times a year, perhaps just to
help out impecunious graduate students like me. Be it Labor Day,
Presidents' Day, or Memorial Day, they'd join in the spirit and open their
doors for people to come in and save. I recall writing home:

Dear Mother and Father,
Today's Memorial Day in the US. On this day we recognise the sacrifices of
members of the armed forces who gave their lives to protect this truly
great country. Like my American friends, I'm also going to observe this
solemn day by visiting some Memorial Day sale and BBQ ...
Well, a long time has passed since. I no longer call the storeowners,
shopkeepers. And I spell recognise as recognize now. But I wonder. What
does it mean to buy something? What do we buy when we buy something? When
we buy Coke, for instance, are we simply hoping to get carbonated,
sweetened and colored water, or something more? Coolness and confidence,
maybe? Ability to attract women/men, perhaps? What do you think? -Anu

Sponsored by Think Right Now! International: DEPRESSED? ANXIOUS?
UNMOTIVATED? If your willpower & persistence always fizzle out, see the
new paradigm in personal growth.
http://mcssl.com/app/adtrack.asp?AdID=17954

AND
http://playsonthenet.com - this site is for all playwrights to upload
their plays, and anyone wishing to read a play can download one.

.... There is no frigate like a book / To take us lands away, / Nor any
coursers like a page / Of prancing poetry. -Emily Dickinson, poet
(1830-1886)

send a message to wsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "Subject:" line as
"subscribe <Name>" or "unsubscribe". Archives, FAQ, gift subscription
form, bulletin board, and more at http://wordsmith.org/awad/

Pronunciation:
http://wordsmith.org/words/oniomania.wav
http://wordsmith.org/words/oniomania.ram

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714