Re: [OM] Battery -- one of (...A Whole Bunch of Questions)

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery -- one of (...A Whole Bunch of Questions)
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 00:19:12 -0700
on 8/23/02 7:20 PM, Josh Lohuis at josh1@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Following everyone's helpful instructions, I cracked open the piggy-bank
> and grabbed a Canadian Nickel (no longer eight sided; now rounded) and it
> worked great.  I discovered a PX625 battery underneath too.  So I am
> wondering what  the hole in my battery cover is for.  After close
> examination, I can say that it wasn't some guy with a nail and hammer who
> made the hole.  Any suggestions?  Should I be worried about dirt or
> something getting inside?
>
> Thanks
>
> Josh

I think the little hole is a vent hole, in case the battery 'outgasses' or
something. I believe it is there from the factory, and I've seen similar
holes in other camera's battery covers. PX625 sounds like the original
'correct' mercury battery... those are hard to find now, and usually
expensive when you can. If you get a CLA I'd have the camera converted to
use the 357 silver-oxide cells, which is usually a part of the process.
--

Jim Brokaw