Re: [OM] 35-105 Contrast

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-105 Contrast
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 22:03:20 +0800
I was in hurry to leave the office when I do the reply, just check again the
story from the beginning that started with John A.'s message about the
sharpness that he prefer. Unsharp mark is the right tool here to increase
the sharpness of a picture. And John mentioned the sharpness is partially a
function of its contrast is also correct. But in many cases when someone
mentioning the contrast of a picture is refer to the contrast not the
sharpness. Below is a photo taken with 100/2 and Provia F, the first one is
the original scan, the second one is contrast enhanced by adjust the level
and gamma, the third one is a sharpened (unsharp mask 80, 0.7, 0) version of
the original. So you can do a compare:

http://www.accura.com.hk/100f2org.jpg
http://www.accura.com.hk/100f2con.jpg
http://www.accura.com.hk/100f2sharp.jpg

Besides the contents, in my opinion the most important element of a digital
photo is resolution, if you want a photo to look sharper that can be done
perfectly with software and there will be not much different from the one
made with a sharp lens. To me I prefer higher resolution than better
sharpness, of course if I can get both without increasing the contrast too
much that would be the best.

C.H.Ling