Re: [OM] published!

Subject: Re: [OM] published!
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:10:21 -0700
Congratulations again Gary! Normally, you retain ownership of the image
rights (of course) and are just granting usage rights for a defined usage
and number of insertions. I'm not quite so sure how it works on the writing.
(I write a lot of articles for the Audi Car Club's magazine, but they don't
seem to ever need to be re-used anyway.).

I know you have already visited www.editorialphoto.com, but they have a
forms section that includes some very well done customizable delivery memos,
and other photography business forms. I know this submission was a rush, but
for future submissions it may not be a bad idea to start using delivery
memos that spell it all out.

As far as sharing your work (which no doubt we would all like to see), it is
true, it is their magazine so reproducing the article would technically
violate copyright laws, despite you owning the work. However, "tear sheets"
are commonly asked for and/or offered. I'm sure you could get permission to
use a scan of the article for portfolio/resume use. On-line
portfolios/resumes are not uncommon either.

FWIW, photographers who can supplement their photos for publication with
well written articles are an editorial publication's dream. You might have
an even better "in" than you thought before. I have a feeling you'll get
more work from these folks.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com