Re: [OM] OM4-Ti or Minolta Maxxum 5?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4-Ti or Minolta Maxxum 5?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:23:57 -0700
on 8/19/02 10:41 AM, Jim Brokaw at jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> on 8/19/02 5:55 AM, Wayne Harridge at wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Albert wrote:
>>
>>> So while this is got to be the most biased forum to ask such a
>>> question, I
>>> figure if the Maxxum is a great buy, then even the very biased OM forum
>>> would tell me so and recommend me in that direction..
>>>

>> So why would *we* know anything about a maxxxxum ?
>>
>> ...Wayne
>
> I've got one that is broken... a Maxxum 300si, which is a lower-end
> auto-only from a few years back. My brother also uses the Minolta Maxxum
> system, he has an older model, I'm not sure which one. If I were going to
> look into an AF wunderbrick camera, I'd probably look at the Canon EOS
> system. Minolta makes good cameras, but the focus motor is in the lenses.
> This makes the lenses cheaper, but I don't think the focus is as fast as the
> EOS focus. Note that I have only a Canon EOS IX (the APS SLR) to base my
> comparison on, but it focuses quite fast, probably as fast as I can manually
> with care, and seems to be very accurate at it.
>
> My brother's Minolta is louder focusing; the Canon 'ultrasonic' motor is
> very quiet. I think Canon has an equivalent price-range model, maybe the
> "Rebel 2000" (or would it be '2002' now?). I have also read that the usually
> included 'standard' zoom lenses for these lower-end AF cameras tend to be
> not-so-good optically or mechanically as the lenses (primes and zooms) sold
> separately. Some of the AF primes are pretty affordable, and much much
> faster than the zoom lenses. I would get tired of using a f3.5 or slower
> lens all the time...
>
> I have heard that many of the low-end AF cameras are made by someone else
> for Nikon, Minolta, Canon, Pentax, etc... that 'someone else' maybe is
> Cosina or Sigma, (or some assembly outfit in China) as this is the only way
> they can get the price down. I expect that the Minolta Maxxum 9 (is that the
> high-end model?) and Canon EOS-1n are made directly by Minolta and Canon in
> Japan. That might influence the quality... Those high-end models are more
> directly in the price range of a new OM4Ti, although the lower-cost models
> are closer to the used 4Ti cost range. The high-end models are bigger and
> heavier than the low-end versions due to the use of metal for the body and
> more features (and not being designed by Olympus <g>).

I'll have to reply to my own post to note that I put that Minolta has the
focus motor in the lenses... this is *not* correct, in fact the Canon lenses
have the focus motor built in while the Minolta focus motor is in the
*camera body*. My penalty for this mistake will be to carry a full Canon EOS
kit about for a day... not quite as lightweight as the OM's!
--

Jim Brokaw