Re: [OM] Why an eyecup?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why an eyecup?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 14:26:01 -0600
At 08:05 PM 8/17/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Not having seen one in person, I'm wondering if I should buy
>an eyecup for my OM-4Ti before they disappear.  Help me under-
>stand the purpose of it.  The OM-4Ti comes with a plastic eye-
>cup.  Is the Eyecup 2 made of rubber, to protect your eyebrow?
>Is it a safe assumption that an Eyecup 2 has clear glass in
>the viewfinder (no correction)?  What's the difference between
>an Eyecup 1 and Eyecup 2?

Can't answer all your questions, but the basic purpose of an eyecup comes from
the days when viewfinders weren't very bright, and TTL metering read off the
prism (or some variant thereabouts).  The eyecup cut down on incidental light,
allowing the viewfinder image to be somewhat brighter, and it also helped
prevent meter errors.

According to my e-SIF, the Eyecup One was for anyone who didn't wear glasses
(or didn't want to wear glasses while taking a picture), and the Eyecup Two was
specifically designed to minimize risk of damage to people's eyeglasses.  Both
took a large range of diopter correction lens inserts, but the One appears to
have had extra extensions designed so that it could also be used with the
slightly thicker 250 exposure filmback.

Garth

"To do science, you need a pencil, paper, and a trashcan.
 To do philosophy, pencil and paper are sufficient."

     -- Unknown