RE: [OM] confusion about 50/2

Subject: RE: [OM] confusion about 50/2
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:08:54 -0500
Ah, that's more like it.  I've been shooting a lot with the 85/2 and
28/2 and both have great clarity, but the 50/1.4 that I have
(>1,000,000) doesn't stack up.  Do you think that the 50/2 is the
sharpest 50mm for Zuiko at wide apertures?

<snip>

It may be that my lens (the test lens) has been around the world a few
too many times. I tested another 50mm f/2 when I brokered a sale for
someone. I was using Fujichrome 64T Type II film, so the results aren't
consistent with the Type I film tests posted.  I discovered remarkable
wide open and f/2.8 performance, which was even better than the 50mm
f/1.4 MCv2 at f/2 and f/2.8 (also re-examined on Type II film).  I just
don't enough information to go beyond these statements.  This shred of
info should be tantalizing enough for someone to take off where I left
behind and see how their 50mm f/2 stacks up.

If only I had had the radio remote and studio strobes I have now. Using
them would have eliminated the whole camera vibration variable in
testing.  Also, film has improved a whole lot since Fujichrome 64T Type
1.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV