RE: [OM] Using/not using filters/Cleaning lenses

Subject: RE: [OM] Using/not using filters/Cleaning lenses
From: "Larry J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 18:54:13 -0400
In the long run, I'd rather replace the filter than front element.  I use
filters for a couple of reasons.

#1 is to protect the filter threads.  With Zuiko production now dead, how
are you going to replace some parts?  I recently purchased a used 180mm
f/2.8 from a major online NYC retailer.  It didn't look too bad, but it
wouldn't accept a B+H filter -- it would take a Hoya.  I checked with John H
and realized that if the damage was enough to require replacement of that
part of the lens barrel, I could see the cost of that lens almost double.
(The lens went back, not problems from the store, but since I "upgraded" to
a new Nikon F100, they may have felt things went their way anyhow.)  The
ring (especially something with strong mount like a Heliopan or B+H) will
distribute the energy around the filter ring instead of concentrating it.
Every time you handle a dinged used lens at a store or show, ask yourself if
it WOULD be dinged if the owner had a filter up front.

#2 is to provide a little cleaner environment for the front of the lens.
Even if cleaning won't harm a front element until about the 10,000th time, I
just as soon keep junk out of there, and not worry about grungies creeping
in or building up.

In theory you degrade the image to some degree every time you pass the light
through another piece of glass.  But how many of us will notice when a good
filter is used, even with a 16 x 20 enlargement?

Sidebar:  Years ago, when I lived in Galveston, a friend of mine showed me
his TV antenna -- an outdoor model mounted inside his attic.  I asked if
that degraded the signal.  He (a very sharp electrical engineer) said that
it probably did.  But in the salty atmosphere of the Gulf Coast, he felt
that you really needed to replace your outside antenna every two or three
years.  He figured his was good for twenty-plus.  Take a hit in quality
initially, but his signal was always better than a two or three year-old
installation.  And he didn't have to worry about replacing coax, climbing on
the roof of a two-story house already set on a high foundation, etc.  He
took the long view, and I've kept his analysis to heart in a lot of other
things I've looked at.

Larry

 Paradigm Associates...
  "Providing Complex Solutions for Simple Problems"
     Visit our web site at:
         http://www.twodimes.org
     or set your navigation system to:
         38-46.883N  77-15.818W