[OM] Using/not using filters/Cleaning lenses

Subject: [OM] Using/not using filters/Cleaning lenses
From: "Rich" <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 18:17:19 -0700
Hi all,

Recently there was a discussion based around the damage done to lenses by
cleaning them.  Lately it's been pointed out that there's not much point
putting a poor quality filter on a good quality lens.

I just looked at my 3 original lenses, bought new, and which never saw a
filter for the first 10+ years, but which I would carefully clean when they
were appreciably dirty. Even with a magnifying glass I can't see any
cleaning marks on them. A couple of years ago I buckled under and bought a
bunch of Hoya HMC UV(0) filters and capped the lenses.

My conundrum at this point is, do I buy a bunch of good quality filters and
learn how to use them, or do I go back to not using them and cleaning the
lenses?  (Part of my commute is a ferry run with salt water spray so not
cleaning isn't really an option.)  I use a microfiber cloth and lens cleaner
from Wolf Camera (now Ritz).  Is there something better to use to clean
lenses?

(My original outfit was a nice light travel kit: 2n, 28/2, 50/1.4, 75-150/4,
T20 and a MC CPC 2x.)

Thanks,

Richard