Re: [OM] What are your body modifications....

Subject: Re: [OM] What are your body modifications....
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 17:45:28 -0500
Please, please don't ask us to do these, but....

Once upon a time, we stripped _everything_ off an OM-4t top and bottom cover
(and I mean _everything_!) for the local Olympus rep.  He took it to someone
who acid-stripped the paint down to the titanium, then "flamed" it with a
micro-torch to give it that "rainbow" metallic look, then we reassembled it.
Looked totally kewl!  Last I heard, he sold it to a local dealer.  I've also
seen an OM-4 that was painted totally white, to match the big white tele
lenses.  And one of the tech's here has an OM-2 that he painted "metallic
candy apple red" -- looked pretty nice until the paint began to chip and
flake.

Once we adapted an OM-4 for a remote power source, but saw the same camera
several years later when they wanted it removed.  Around here somewhere is an
OM-2s that I started to modify for full-function with a Motor Drive 2,
including motorized rewind -- I ran into trouble getting around the meter
display's illumination, which is right where the rewind button's switch goes,
so it's in a box somewhere in pieces.  And then somewhere out there is an
OM-2n with a "modified" OM-1n front casting -- complete with mirror lock up!

Long ago, I heard the story of a former Olympus Customer Service
Representative/Technician who went to work for National Geo who created a
"solar powered" OM-2, using photocells that input power through the shoe!

Several times I've adapted a "plastic-fantastic" (AF) cameras for a remote
release, once even linking two Stylus' so they'd fire at the same time for
"stereo" photography.

But the only "routine" modifications we occasionally perform are to disable
the "FP" sync on OM-1/2's, and/or bypass the diode in the sync circuit of the
OM-1n/2n's so they'll fire studio flashes -- that and modifying OM-1/1n's so
the meters work properly w/alkaline and silver oxide batteries.