[OM] Ranking of cheap wide angle lenses

Subject: [OM] Ranking of cheap wide angle lenses
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 02:49:23 GMT
It seems to me from reading the latest series of threads
(and in the archives) that there is a general consensus
on the relative ranking of the cheap (2.8/3.5) wide angle
lenses.  From best to worst, they are: 24/2.8, 21/3.5,
28/2.8, 35/2.8, 28/3.5. I am not comparing them to their
bigger & better (& more expensive) 2.0 brothers, but only
to each other.  Many posts spoke poorly of the 28/3.5,
almost no one spoke of the 35/2.8 at all, the 28/2.8 seems
to be okay if you cannot afford the 28/2, the 21/3.5 is a
good lens (but C.H. pointed out the difference in focus
between the edge and center), and the 24/2.8 seems to be
universally liked. Well? Note that I excluded the Vivitar/
Kiron lenses even though their 2.0 lenses are cheap and of
very high quality (I wanted to keep this an Olympus post).

Pete