RE: [OM] Further on technology (R&D)

Subject: RE: [OM] Further on technology (R&D)
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:03:04 +0100
I am sure that it is a mix of both Lee, but it is pretty certain that
big expensive projects that have little commercial application will
not be developed by private individuals or enterprise unless there is
private money to throw away.  Governments have the money and the
"defence" industry the contacts in government to develop and procure
expensive, non-commercial items like big guns, satellites,  radars.
These items can produce by-product technology which is then adopted
by enterprises which see a commercial application (and for many
people, technology is attractive in itself - witness multifunction
displays on wonderbricks).

As for miniaturised electronics, I am sure that commercial and
military development is complementary.  My new Ericsson mobile phone
is minute, but miniature flying machines (UAVs) seem to have only a
military impetus at present from what I have read.

Don't forget that governments are manned by politicians who are
biddable by rich defence companies, just like oil barons etc... I
make no distinction between BAe in this country (and GEC  before they
porked their business around!) and the various US companies behaving
dishonestly with their respective governments.

Chris