Re: [OM] state-of-the-art technology

Subject: Re: [OM] state-of-the-art technology
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 06:26:41 -0500
"Evaluative metering" lies between the ears. Because no two shots - or photographers - necessarily require the same frame area(s) exposure bias. Indeed the photo may demand otherwise. AF? I don't know that I can not focus faster manually for most shots (except at night with ones using IR) than any AF I have seen. "Customizing"; lens choices, varimagni, the whole OM *system*, filters - what more do you want?

".... The kind of camera we use very much depends on the kind of pictures we're taking."

...... Well there you have it - good observation. Markets run along the lines of, "who are you going to sell the most (cameras, lenses, batteries etc) to - and have them *coming back for more*?" ;)

Btw; a snapshot is aimed with precision. Smoothly - but fast. Snapshooting is a skill that if learned correctly and progresses permits hitting targets - likely impromtu - with less delay. But presentation, sight alignment, sight picture, *trigger control*, follow through (and adequate equipment) still apply. Otherwise a miss will result - and a miss - is still a miss. Snapshoooting seeks to hit every time - with less time involved. Hence not very many people can do it exceptionally and consistantly well.

An AK over a .50 BP rifle? Maybe. But how about a double-barrel, double trigger, auto eject hammerless 12 bore shotgun circa 1930 - and a "state of the art" 12 bore autoloader 2002 with an 8-shot tube or box magazine and a pouch full of extra shells on 50 targets, *timed*?

Automatic weapons are for wasting ammo ;)

Cheers,
Lee