Re: [OM] Stiff focusing/aperture rings

Subject: Re: [OM] Stiff focusing/aperture rings
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:10:09 -0700
I recently "won" a 50/3.5 macro lens on *bay, and it arrived
yesterday (without any caps).  The MC lens is in very good
condition except for a mark on the side of the aperture ring.
But the focusing and aperture rings are very stiff, almost
impossible to turn without mounting the lens on a camera.
The seller is selling off stuff they acquited when they took
over a store that closed, so there is no guarantee.  The
lens may have been sitting on the shelf for quite a while.
What I want to know is: Will the rings loosen up if I work
them back and forth or is it a hopeless cause (i.e., possible
internal damage)?  Thanks.
        -Dan

I just hate the "won" terminology used for these e*ay auctions. What
a corruption of the word.  You bid on something you cannot see and
the condition of which is a mystery and you buy it like anything else
but you pay a higher price than anyone else.  Maybe 'won' should be
reserved for the seller.

Sorry, Dan for the  misfortune you "won."  I know there are people on
the list who are loathe to spend additional money on a used item, but
a lens service is not that much and you can rest assured then that it
is working properly and has not been reassembled improperly by an
amateur.  For equipment as old as OM stuff I usually calculate a CLA
added on to the price. Sometimes new is not that much more.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?