Re: [OM] was Further thoughts on technology......new to photography here

Subject: Re: [OM] was Further thoughts on technology......new to photography here using old cameras?
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 04:40:23 +0200

Schnozz writes:
>> Why would somebody starting out with a system NOT pick the
>> current technology?

Because current technology changes all too often? Because current
technology isn't anymore about long-lasting solutions rather it's all
about quick bucks.

Also, current technology comes with all the bells and whistles and
automatic this and that just so that people wouldn't have to understand
how things get done. All they need is press that button and select that
option and voila! In old times apprentices had to understand the process
and then learn the tools to become masters. Now, all you need to do is
learn the tool. Or those 20% that you'll ever use. And no, you're not a
master when your tool controls you.

>I took up photography in Feburary this year, and the reason i bought an OM1
>was because a friend of mine said that if you really want to learn buy a
>manual camera.

I've been thinking about buying an SLR for last couple of months and my
selection came down to N*k*n F80 or Ca*on EOS30 until last
weekend. That's when I saw OM-3 and I just had to have it.

It came with a few goodies:
   - all the manuals,
   - eyecup,
   - Winder 2,
   - Zuiko 50mm f1.8 lens,
   - Tamron 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 zoom lens,
   - Hanimex 80-200mm f4 macro + zoom
   - Sunpak 3600 auto zoom thyristor flash.

Yes, all the stuff is fairly dated, but in very good condition. And it
came with a decent price of $600. And now I wonder if I should shell out
extra $20 for Cokin's CK-01 macro flash system (filters included).

>Only one regret, all the goodies i see for sale for it cost alot more than
>some other makes, but i do love the build quality.

Ditto. :-)

>Anyone else new to photography here using old cameras?

Old cameras? Nah, they're proven quality and durability cameras. :-)

Cheers,

Saso