[OM] Yann Arthus-Bertrand Exhibition - longish

Subject: [OM] Yann Arthus-Bertrand Exhibition - longish
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:21:50 -0500
Well, I went to see the exhibit yesterday, and have to say that there
were some disappointments, but was pleasantly surprised overall.

The format of the exhibit was large (4'6x3'?) panels that were aligned
in 4-5 rows.  One can really see that this is 35mm work even from the
5-6' viewing distance.  Not bad images graphically, but one give-away
about the shop jockeying was the slight pixilation of some of the
images.  Those prints were definitely made from a digital file, where
other were maybe straight from the transparency.  There was also a film
inside next to the knick-knack shop that was interesting.  Unfortunately
he is a C*anon shooter with those obnoxiously large lenses, but I won't
hold that against him.  The monographs looked good, and were full of
images.  Quite large, and maybe worth the $, but nothing really
convinced me to buy.

I went about mid-day with some friends, but returned that evening with
my wife to see the exhibit lit-up (it is outside in Millennium Park).
The straight tube fluorescent fixtures gave a really poor glare, and
most of the images were lost.  One unique and interesting thing about
the exhibit is that there is a map of the world on the ground showing
the locations where the photographs were taken.  Very interesting in
that it was a topographical(?) map showing more landform, and less
political boundaries.  There was also a heavy emphasis on the
over-population and over-consumption of natural resources.  I am as
green as the next guy, but some of the figures and "facts" tried to
suggest that we are on a downward spiral to destruction.

Very engaging, and worth the drive to Chicago if you are in the area.
It was also nice because further towards the lake there was the film
festival (really nice outside theater) and the fireworks for something?
Maybe a concert somewhere else in the park?  After that we walked over
to Buckingham fountain to see the hourly surge of water and light show.
You might think I work for the Chicago tourist bureau the way I promote
it, but there was a lot going on in the city for a Monday night!;)

Bob Gries