[OM] Yann Arthus-Bertrand

Subject: [OM] Yann Arthus-Bertrand
From: "Reuben Acciano" <rubydoomsday@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 01:05:36 -0500
Zuik Gang,

Yann is one of the world's most famous - and awarded - aerial/natural history
photographers. I don't know whether or not his work has been commissioned by
Nat Geo before, but it has certainly appeared in there. I'm surprised no-one's
mentioned him here before.

You'll probably find that any "hyper-saturation" has come from the
website-producer's end; yes, Yann shoots a lot of Velvia and it does boot the
colour
saturation right up, but if you look at any of his books (I work as a book
dealer when
not shooting ...) you'll see the colour plates show some pretty mean hues
anyway.
Meaning - I defer to Windsor here. It's just a case of the world being a
visually
diverse and amazing looking place, and the photographer being smart enough to
shoot mostly in magic light, from good angles, using a film that helps his
ends.

Whether or not you like Velvia is a question of application. I couldn't use it
for live
shots' cause it's too slow. But for posed/promo shots of bands, when I can have
tripod handy, it (pardon the pun) rocks. The saturation  makes the colours in
musos' (usually pretty loud) clothing really "sing" (bugger, another bad pun
...).
But what everyone has overlooked is the fact that Velvia also has incredible
sharpness and grain-free-ness akin to even slower films than itself. It's an
absolute wonder for travel photography - they ALL use it. No, don't even
challenge
me on this ... some stock libraries for travel out there even have a Velvia
only policy.
I'm not kidding. Just like some "glamour" publications still "require"
Kodachrome
64 for its perfect fleshtones.

For mine, I thinkn Velvia rocks, though I don't get to shoot enough travel
stuff.
(Actually, all that might change soon; my sister just scored a job with Qantas
and I
have been named her first beneficiary for flight/ travel discounts. Yeehaa !!!)
If any of
you want to see an emulsion that REALLY invites psychedelic flashback
comparisons, shoot a roll of Ektachrome EC Extra Colour, preferably of
something
with bold primary colours, then stand back ... (add a pair of dark, dark
sunglasses if
you're even thinking of using a polariser).

Has anyone else out there tried Agfa Scala - a mono slide emulsion ratable from
ISO 200 - 1600 (my favourite film, BTW ...) - an expensive bitch to process,
being the
very rare E4 (I think) process, but it is just amazing for mono work, and with
better
archival qualities than any print (not counting exotic processes involving
Platinum
blah blah) ...

Just my 0.02.
Reuben (proud owner of a new-to-me MINT 24 2.8 - I haven't had one of these
babies for a while now. It was good to reunite with such a sweetie ...)