[OM] Jesse White

Subject: [OM] Jesse White
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 17:19:13 -0700
Jesse White was a great character actor who appeared in hundreds of radio
and TV shows, as well as the occasional movie. He tended to be type-cast as
a cigar-chewing fast-talking shark, a part he played to perfection. (photo
content -->) It's a shame no one ever did a movie biography of Weegee
(Arthur Fellig); he would have been perfect.

Although the Maytag man is his best-known role, he also regularly appeared
as K. G. Calhoun, Ann Sothern's nemesis in "Private Secretary" (which
alternated weeks with Jack Benny's TV show).

He had several roles in "Stan Freberg Presents the United States of
America," including the king of Spain ("My doctor said I should go to
Florida for the winter.") and a Manhattan real-estate agent ("Is that a
generous Indian? You'll have Manhattan, the Bronx, and Staten Island,
too!").

More-recent roles included Marvin Acme in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and the
movie distributor in "Matinee." He is sorely missed.

PS: The business of shifted shift lenses showing a falloff on the focusing
screen makes perfect sense. I stand corrected. Of course, the problem
doesn't occur with OTF metering.