Re: [OM] re: potential London trip forthcoming [RE: crime]

Subject: Re: [OM] re: potential London trip forthcoming [RE: crime]
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 05:27:19 -0500
Steve,

London has enough numbers to negate such statistical factors as you mentioned in the "small town" instance. There is no comparing any large city with such an instance - let alone one as enormously populated - and with such a high reported crime rate. There are indeed an enormous number of crimes everywhere that go unreported. This is true throughtout the world - and Britain is no different from the rest of the "civilized" world in this regard. In a large city this will generally be in proportion to the total population - and the reported crime rate. No mystery in this, and London is not unique.

I have never in many trips to, through, and around London, been the "victim" of any crime in over 30 years of travel there. However, I have family there who have, and know others. It is a simple "matter of fact" issue to me - I don't get excited about it - and in the many times I have been there I don't "worry about it" either. But I do conduct myself as to be the most unikely target as possible. Likewise everywhere else I go.

And I continually advise others to do the same.

Cheers
Lee