Re: [OM] OT; landscape shots

Subject: Re: [OM] OT; landscape shots
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 16:23:32 -0700

 I don't know what planet he took these on.  None of
 them look like Earth to me.  None of them look like
 home.

 Am I alone?

 Lamadoo

 > http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/us/photogra/index.htm

I finally took a look.  I had to use Netscape because my regular
browser had problems with the code on the site.

The guy does like warm light at sunset and he does not expose for the
shadows. He also uses a polarizing filter a little too much to my
taste, but many of the images are lovely. I especially liked the one
of the Kenai peninsula in Alaska  They are almost all interesting.
Many are not oversaturated.  And I think that some with intense color
may be accurate in their portrayal of the exotic landscape and for
the time of day.  It reminds me of accusations that were made when I
used to take my camera hiking that I did something to deepen the blue
of the sky in the photos. The accusers expected the sky at 12,000
feet to look like it does at sea level.

Some of the photos were obviously previsualized as abstracts as AA
did on occasion..  The photographer is a fortunate person because he
has taken pictures of many places I have never seen. I think that the
appearance of the earth is more variable than some might give it
credit for.

 Looks like he took lessons from National Geographic. Don't know what
the problem is.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California