Re: [OM] How to charge

Subject: Re: [OM] How to charge
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:13:28 -0500
I must admit I am just getting into freelancing a bit myself. I did work for a photographer a very long time ago as a camera operator, but have never run it as a business before. But, having said that I have picked up some points in other areas of business that must apply here too .... because business .. IS business ;)

My first thought is .. do not be tempted to underprice yourself. This sounds like stating the obvious in a way; but it can be tempting to offer a really cheap rate in order to secure work. This might work - for awhile - until you realize you are losing money and try and up your price.

The other point is that sometimes offering services too cheap will cause many to pass you up. This can be because the potential client is aware of the above first thought, and doesn't want to get into a deal with someone who is cutting things too fine or just starting out.

I would always figure in film costs, any processing, travel costs (for every aspect as needed), and any miscellaneous costs plus a good hourly rate. Running a business involves paper and a certain amount of administration, telephone calls, etc etc etc. All these "nickels and dimes" add up. Especially your *time*.

Be careful you don't wind up working for what kids make stocking supermarket shelves. Many people who get into a "business" ofetn wind up this way. Upping your prices later on is alot harder than making sure you are winning (something worth your time) from the start. You can always sweeten the odd client with a "I'll give you a discount" and drop a few percent as you see fit.

Good luck - I'd go for it!

Cheers, Lee