[OM] Why I do it the analogue way...

Subject: [OM] Why I do it the analogue way...
From: jochen.schiffler@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jochen Schiffler)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:19:02 +0200
Winsor's posting made me think about why I like taking pictures with
'analogue' -especially mechanical- equipment.

This doesn't make any sense... I'm young (kinda, 24), I'm an information
scientist, I love all kind of electronics, I shoot primarily for web/pc. Why
would I use analogue equipment? Ok, the price of digi SLRs is still out of
bounds for me but there is more...

'What I like about analogue photography' ;-)

I like to open the back and put a film into the camera (although this
sometimes seems to take way too long depending on the subject).
I like the sound the back makes when it snaps into it's final position when
I close it.
I like the sounds the camera makes when I operate it's various functions.
I like it's weight.
I like to advance the film with my thumb on a smooth lever and feel the
resistance.
I like to rewind the film manually and remove the cartridge.
I like to think of the cartridge and the film itself as a container that
stores light and thereby colors, emotions, history and moments (no matter of
what would be a technically correct description).
I like to hold the cartridge in my hands and think about the moments, the
places and the people I'm carrying and wonder if they will appear the way I
remember them.
I like to wait for the film being developed and wonder if I made the _one_
photograph.
I like to hold the developed slides into the light and watch at the framed
miniature world.
I like being a Zuikoholic, always looking for the hard to get OM part I
could possibly need next
...and I like all the things I forgot or can't really describe.

It's an old story but the whole procedure of handling film has something
mystical about it. There's nothing very romantic about a wild bunch of zeros
and ones keeping a gorgeous smile or a beautiful landscape. And yes I do own
a digital but a rather 'cheapo' 1.1 MP p/s type. Probably I'd like to shoot
with a digital SLR system too but I'm sure I'd miss a certain feeling (and
the money).

Don't tell me this is not rational ;-)
Jochen