RE: [OM] re: potential London trip forthcoming...what to shoot, w hat to

Subject: RE: [OM] re: potential London trip forthcoming...what to shoot, w hat to se e?
From: "Larry J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 06:06:48 -0400
If you want to get a preview of some of those London locations, visit my
site.  The 35mm, Panoramic, and Subminiature sections all have London and UK
photos in them.  (Unfortunately for this group, none of the photos were shot
with OM gear...I tend to leave the SLRs home when traveling and use a couple
of Voigtlander Bessa R2s instead.)

The V&A is an extra challenge to shoot...There is just so much stuff crammed
in there...

If you are going to be in London for several days in a row you can get a
multi-day tube voucher on this side of the pond and turn it in for a
multi-day ticket once you get there (there is a place to do it in Heathrow).
See http://www.britishtravel.com  I also use these guys to book my hotels
when I go to London for pleasure.

A day trip to Bath on the train is quite easy (Paddington Station), as are
day trips to Oxford and Cambridge by bus or train.  Kew Gardens is a great
place...Interesting combination of very formal and very natural.

If you want to go up in the BA London Eye, I'd recommend getting tickets
online, especially for weekend "flights".
http://www.ba-londoneye.com/content/index.asp  Last time in London (May) I
only had one evening to show two folks in my office something in London
(their first trip each).  We got to the Eye about 20 minutes before closing
time and had one of the pods for just the three of us.

Concur with Covent Garden being fun, especially for people watching.
Crowded on weekends.  Whilst there try the Transport Museum.  Very camera
friendly and even if you don't go into the museum, they have a great gift
shop.

If you depart from Terminal 4, the BM has a gift shop on the duty-free
side...Save the VAT.

The issue about grain with 400 speed print film is personal.  I shoot 1600
with the panoramic, and either 200 or 400 color with other cameras, favoring
400.  I like the flexibility of 400.  If you really need to sneak up on
flowers and small subjects, I could see using 100.  Bracketing only 1/2 stop
with most color print film is tight.  Give yourself a stop either way...IMHO

 Paradigm Associates...
  "Providing Complex Solutions for Simple Problems"
     Visit our web site at:
         http://www.twodimes.org
     or set your navigation system to:
         38-46.883N  77-15.818W