RE: [OM] (OM) (OT) Rollei 35

Subject: RE: [OM] (OM) (OT) Rollei 35
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:21:39 -0400
Perhaps "weird" was a poor choice of words.  And "odd" may be too strong,
but today, with 40 yrs of technology behind us, it's not in the mainstream
of user ergonomics.

But given it's innovations, you're right-on that it was a groundbreaking
camera.  It is amazing that they were able to stuff so much into a small
space.  Much like the Pen F/FT's marvels.

But I do find that the bottom-mounted shoe and winding lever a
bit....."interesting".  But as with many innovative cameras, that's the
price you pay for sticking your neck out in unconventional designs.

There have been many over the years, as designers strived to break out the
moulds.  Ones that have been through my hands recently:  The Voigtlander
Vitessa's one-operation, plunger for shutter cocking and winding, the
Konica III's lens-mount-based wind/cock lever, and Canon Dial 35's
spring-driven 1/2 frame.

It shows that good design doesn't always win in the market, but that it is
recognized as good design for years to come, given the state of the
technology.

Skip