Re: [OM] Digital Plastic

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Plastic
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 01:08:50 -0500
Yes; many things plastic and electronic are; "Use - but discard when defective; because it'll cost more to get fixed than to buy a new one".

I have been through this with all kinds of things from watches, to radios (transceivers), hi-fi's, and yes - in a sense - motor vehicles.

The latter I have now reduced to all pre-1979s. They have carbs, coils, alternators, batteries, voltage regulators etc - and when they do have problems - are very cheap to get running again. Often I can actaully do it myself. Gas? I don't worry about gas. And many pre-79s can be had that'll get quite acceptable mileage. It's towing bills, "diagnostic" charges, the price of little "black boxes", miscellaneous fittings, and the "labor" charges to supply & fit them, that I avoid. For what many spend to get the "EFI" fuel systems fixed I can get a good salvaged transmission fitted - or rebuilt motor.