[OM] Sticky apertue on 50mm/1.4

Subject: [OM] Sticky apertue on 50mm/1.4
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 17:30:48 -0400
In a response to a fungus query re the 50/1.4 last September ClintonR
said:
"The 50mm f/1.4's can be very, _very_ difficult to open, if not
impossible -- we will try, but if we can't get it open easily, we've
learned to let it be."

I assume that Clint's warning pertains to not being able to get the
front group out.  Cleaning up your lens' (presumably) sticky diaphragm
might well be done without needing to open the front.  But I wouldn't
count on it.  53 Euro strikes me as a fair but not outstanding price for
a good 50/1.4.  But it's not a "fang" and certainly doesn't allow for a
repair, especially a repair which might not be possible.  I'd send it
back... now.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

Jochen said:

I couldn't resist and got a Zuiko 50mm/1.4 (1163137) with caps and bag
from bay. ... The price was 53,- Euro and I thought it's quite ok
because the seller said 'technical and optical absolutely top condition,
no marks on glass'.

... Bad luck when I found it suffers from sluggish diaphragm ...Should I
keep the lens, ask for a refund and try to fix it or should I return
it?  Seems a refund of 15-20 Euro realistic?