Re: [OM] Zuiko 35 - 70mm f3.6

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 35 - 70mm f3.6
From: alias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 3 Jul 2002 20:27:39 -0000
The lab measured flare in the 35-70mm f/3.6 Zuiko seems to me to be well
controlled, as measured by Popular Photography.  In the text
accompanying their review of the OM-2S/35-70mm f/3.6, they said: ". . .
use of the hood results in a 20-percent reduction in flare level. (The
test figures in this report were obtained with the hood in place.)
Multilayer coating and good blackening, except for one rear edge, also
helped keep the flare levels respectably low."

They reported for percent flare:
at 35mm .65
at 50mm .9
at 70mm 1.05

in comparison:
50mm f/1.8 SC .86
35mm f/2.8 SC 1.1
100mm f/2.8 SC 1.55
24mm f/2 .6
40mm f/2 1.0
100mm f/2 .65
50mm f/2 .42
35mm f/2 lastest version .24

35-70mm f/3.5~4.5
at 35mm .5
at 50mm 1.05
at 70mm 1.05

35-105mm f/3.5~4.5 early version
at close focus 1.35
at 35mm 1.55
at 70mm 1.45
at 105mm 1.6

Someone posted the assumption that the latest "Meade Green" Zuiko
multicoating is the best multicoating Olympus offered, hence the 35-70mm
f/3.6 couldn't be up to present standards. I'm not necessarily in
agreement. No one has tested that assumption and a counter argument can
be made that it is a less costly multilayer coating than variations used
in the early 1980s.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV