Re: [OM] Craft vs. Art

Subject: Re: [OM] Craft vs. Art
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 00:38:47 -0700
One of Adams' earliest commercial assignments was to photograph Dominican College of San Rafael, CA and its students for promotional purposes. Many of the photos were hanging in the library there when I was there last year. They seemed to me to technically sound but nothing special. A couple are good portraiture in that they capture some sense of the life and nature of the subjects, but many other photographers are better at that kind of thing. I seem to recall that this was a very important assignment for him in getting started at making enough money and getting public exposure to make it as a commercial photographer.

Moose

John A. Lind wrote:

Regarding  A.A.
I believe his success came in his last years, a long time in coming for him. IIRC he made his living doing commercial photography during most of his professional life. I have not seen his "commercial" work done as a "gun for hire" but from what I've heard about it, they are nothing like his landscapes. It likely represents his doing the former to put bread on the table and subsidize his passion for photographing the latter.