Re: [OM] Craft vs. Art

Subject: Re: [OM] Craft vs. Art
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 20:01:09 -0500
At 13:57 7/1/02, Winsor Crosby wrote:
These discussions are interesting. I tend to think that Ansel would never have succeeded as an artist without craft , but he was certainly more than a craftsman. Maybe it is a powerful vision which communicates in an original way to many that lifts craft to the level of art. And of course art is a thing of fashion and hype as well, so that talk of universals may be silly. Who really cares about abstract expressionism anymore and who listens to Salieri's music today except as a curiosity? And Ansel's work may be considered a curious infatuation of the late 20th century in a 100 years because different things will be important to people then.

I also find these interesting as they cut to the very core. Engineers and Scientists call them First Principles; Philosophers would describe it as Meta-Thinking; a Mathematician would call them Axioms (which must be induced, and cannot be deduced). One can run around in circles working out the "how" in doing something, but if the "why" it's being done (purpose and goal) are ill-defined, or worse yet undefined, it is aimless.

The definition of "craft" will differ depending on who you ask. For me, it means the "science" of how to achieve different effects with light, exposure, and composition. If one takes a reductionist view of a photograph, it can be broken down into its elements, including everything that was done to create it (DoF, object placement, light direction, exposure, etc.). This is the "craft."

OTOH, the "art" requires an holistic view of the piece to examine the "message" it conveys. What does it "say" or "mean?" Part of the craftsmanship is understanding the intended viewer(s), their experiential base, and how to use the "craft" to convey the message so the intended viewers receive the intended message.

Examples:
I made a photograph about a month ago of the "travelling" 2/3-scale Viet Nam War Memorial "wall" (as yet unscanned for my site). It shows a man examining the names on a section of the wall with flowers left by relatives of those inscribed on the wall at its base. The glossy black wall surface has a subdued reflection of the man and the state flags out of main view behind him. The title is "Nameless Nevermore" and it will likely be part of my September exhibit. It has meaning to those who know what the Viet Nam War Memorial wall is. Those are its intended viewers, and it is limited to them. If the same photograph were shown to a Tibetan Monk who has only known his monastary in Tibet, and doesn't even know such a wall exists, or why, he would not comprehend it. To him, it would merely be some guy staring at names on a wall and it would be near meaningless. He's not one of the intended viewers. Moreover, the time span around which it may be meaningful is undoubtedly also limited. A millennium from now, it could be just as meaningless to everyone as it would be to a Tibetan Monk today.

OTOH, the photograph I made of a small boy sniffing an amaryllis is more universal and less time dependent in viewers to which it can convey its message. Why? Nearly everyone has seen flowers, knows they have an odor, and has experienced the curiosity of small children as they explore the world around them.

The first questions I ask myself before making a photograph are:
  1.  Why am I making this photograph (what is its message)?
  2.  Who is it for (who are its viewers)?

I found that by forcing myself to articulate answers to these two questions for the holistic aspect of the work, it is much, much easier to determine how it will be made (the craft(s)). There is now a clearly defined goal an purpose for the image. The answers are usually simple and quick, but still very essential. Everyone who makes a photograph answers these questions, but most do not realize it. I found the yield in conveying the desired message with my photographs improved greatly by making it a conscious effort to do this *before* opening the camera bag.

Thus, what AA's photographs meant to viewers when he first made them may be somewhat different from what they mean to viewers today, although many are "timeless." IMHO I believe he qalifies as an "artist" because it is evident to me that he did, indeed, consciously consider why he made his photographs, and who they were intended for. His consummate crafstmanship enabled him to do it exceedingly well.

-- John