[OM] Craft vs. Art

Subject: [OM] Craft vs. Art
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:57:10 -0700

I just saw "Pecker" on DVD, an amusing little John Waters film which
has photographic art as a theme.  At one point an art tour on a bus
full of New Yorkers drives through Baltimore.  There were comments
like, "Ohh. Row houses.  They are... are... so...real."  The blind
photographer was a nice touch, too. Greg Gorman, the celebrity
photographer, has a nice cameo in which he makes fun of celebrity
photographers.

These discussions are interesting.  I tend to think that Ansel would
never have succeeded as an artist without craft , but he was
certainly more than a craftsman. Maybe it is a powerful vision which
communicates in an original way to many that lifts craft to the level
of art.  And of course art is a thing of fashion and hype as well, so
that talk of universals may be silly. Who really cares about abstract
expressionism anymore and who listens to Salieri's music today except
as a curiosity? And Ansel's work may be considered a curious
infatuation of the late 20th century in a 100 years because different
things will be important to people then.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?