Re: [OM] archive slide scanning/A Adams

Subject: Re: [OM] archive slide scanning/A Adams
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 04:22:24 -0500
RE: Archiving...

I have to agree with those that plan to stay with their Kodachrome slides and lightboxes, viewers etc. The electronic age has brought many conveniences and certain advantages, but it's disposable nature serves commerce much more than the average individual. Both from a market creation and sales standpoint, and from the cost effectiveness of turning over newer hard and software by companies that use the products themselves in the course of their.

I hear that when the new "high resolution" TVs hit the stores - at some point - your old set will be unuseable due to a change in the transmission type. Everyone has to buy.. a new tv. Digital information recording, storage and retrieval products have and are going to change continually. And I'll continue to only buy them when they are dirt cheap, if I can help it.

And ..... RE: Ansel Adams

I don't have a problem with an "artist" producing a picture - or image - any way he or she pleases in order to produce a "work of art". But in the general sense to me; a portrait is a portrait, a landscape a landscape etc. I am more impressed with superb non-manipulated images than the manipulated. Playing with contrast, depth of field, using a filter or two etc to increase or enhance the impact of a photograph does begin to venture outside of "realism" when it is not merely to compensate purely scientific shortcomings of glass, camera and film over light, colors, etc.

To me, in a sense, there is a distinct difference between an artist and a photographer. I have been both - but I am usually (um .. usually!) quite clear when I take a photograph as to what the intention is; a photographic record - or a work of art. Of course there is the "art" of technique, much like the "art of fencing" or "the art of rifle shooting". In that sense all photgraphy is an "art".

I had thought Adam's more "visual records" than anything else and to find out they were somewhat manipulated certainly changes things a tad. I have seen some tremendous works by various photographers taken in the mid to late 1800s - many landscapes included. I do not know of any of them playing with developing and printing techniques to alter "creatively" as opposed to recording accurately was was seen at the time - and they generally feature as historical records in historical museums, published works etc as opposed to being catalogued and displayed as "art".

Interesting revelation; now I have to go back and look at them all again - much closer!

LEE