Re: [OM] archive slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] archive slide scanning
From: Sue Gregson <sue@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:27:28 +0100

On Friday, June 28, 2002, at 11:34 AM, HI100@xxxxxxx wrote:

John L.,
          wrote about the poor longevity of digital media and formats:

If you wrote something in WordStar Word Perfect ten years ago, how would you access it now?  If you did some financial studies or pro forma balance sheets in Lotus 1-2-3 to go with it, how would you access it now?  Do you even have a disk drive that can read the disks on which it was stored (if it was 5.25 inch
mini-floppys, you're sunk).

I appreciate what you mean but I think you have missed something. As media formats change people move what's important to the new format. There will be an overlap period for the new shiny state of the art media and current stuff. With already created digital images it is a matter of transferring and perhaps some translation to the latest thing. I've been through this several times in my professional life already - it's not a big deal really. Maybe I'll open a translation shop!

Cheers
Sue Gregson