Re: [OM] Old photo archiving - a question, please.

Subject: Re: [OM] Old photo archiving - a question, please.
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:28:18 -0400
A few weeks ago I needed ASAP a second 5m TTL cord.  The quickest way I
could find to get one was a *Bay deal for the cord, but which included a
T20 flash.  I've got two T45s and an F280, so, naturally, I wasn't
interested in no stinking, puny T20.  But I really needed the cord, and
right now, and I figured I could sell the T20 someday, so I sniped it.
When it arrived, it included a T20 TTL connector, which wasn't mentioned in
the auction description or shown in the picture, and which I didn't know
even existed.  Suddenly, one of those cartoon light bulbs lit up above my
head.

I've got a couple hundred old B&W photos I've been putting off copying for
years.  One is a 5x7 portrait, still in great condition, from 1901, of my
grandmother and her sister when they were in college.  Most are pre-1940s
and older.  I've scanned some of these at 300 dpi on the HP 5100C flatbed,
with good results.  But, old retro fart that I am, I want them copied also
on REAL film.  I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  (My wife has a
round "TUIT" in the kitchen window, but it has no apparent effect on me.)

Back to the light bulb.  It now occurred to me that a great copy setup
could be made with a pair of T20s, they being so much smaller, lighter and
easier to mount, what with having the 1/4 in. tripod socket in the
connector, than the monster T45s, which would be way more powerful than
necessary anyway.

Back to the *Bay.  I found a T20 and "hot shoe" auction right away, except
it wasn't a hot shoe: a careful look at the photo showed it to be another
T20 TTL connector.  Again, eSnipe to the rescue.  They just got here via
the big, brown goody truck, and both are in perfect condition.  There's
even the little plastic cover doohickey that I've only ever seen on the hot
shoe of a brand-new camera, which apparently evaporates when exposed to
air.  Did that come with these originally?

Anyway, the copying will be done with an OM-4Ti and 50/3.5 Zuiko macro
mounted on the chassis of an old Omega B-7 enlarger, with a T20 on either
side of the baseboard at 45 degrees, just the way the book says.  I haven't
copied anything like these old photos since I worked briefly (very briefly)
for an ad agency back in the days of Panatomic-X and Acufine.  Can anybody
recommend a good 21st century B&W film/developer combination for this job?
Any other suggestions will be welcome, too.

Walt