Re: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:18:20 +0800
"John A. Lind" wrote:

> I won't discuss the medium on which CD's are recorded.  That's another
> issue entirely, but I seriously doubt the "common" CD has an archival life
> as long as properly stored transparencies or B/W negatives (color negatives
> are another problem).

Yes, no one can sure, but as you said another media is coming up (DVD
R/W) so two or three years later I will have all my CD copied to DVD.

<snip>
>  Think of it
> like a subscription that requires renewal about every 5 years or so.  How
> long ago was it that the average PC was a Pentium processor under 200 MHz
> running Windows 3.1 or perhaps Windows '95?  If you wrote something in
> WordStar Word Perfect ten years ago, how would you access it now?  If you
> did some financial studies or pro forma balance sheets in Lotus 1-2-3 to go
> with it, how would you access it now?  Do you even have a disk drive that
> can read the disks on which it was stored (if it was 5.25 inch
> mini-floppys, you're sunk).

If you don't transfer the data/software into new software or hardware
system before they die, it is your fault or you don't "really" need
them. I'm still running a 17 years old software (dBase III plus) in a
450MHz PC. I'm just too lazy to learn the new dBase programming like
the Access. But for sure I have to do it later and all the data will
be still readable. I'm sure if I need even the data in my Apple-CP/M
will be available and usable up to now. BTW, the current Excel can
still read the dBase II data. Actually if you want your data to be
readable in a much longer future, use SDF or similar format.

> IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT "CD" TECHNOLOGY:
> CD technology is sunsetting.  It's being replaced by DVD.

Yes, that's good, I don't want to keep hundreds of CDs, just a few DVD
can do.

C.H.Ling