Re: [OM] "disposable" plastic products

Subject: Re: [OM] "disposable" plastic products
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:49:07 -0500
I agree. Some plastic are superior in some applications and lend themselves to cheap and expedient assemblies - but they lack the longivity of certain metals. This is readily observed in various components and fittings in the automobile industry for example. Heat, cold, sunlight, vibration and other stresses, and time - they bend, break, fade, distort, crack, crumble, craze. While uncoated metals can oxidize, parts wear, and poorly engineered parts fail - a fully developed and debugged system can be made to be repairable, upgradeable and and a good longterm buy.

Some plastics are extremely tough within their lifespans though .. I recall working in Germany in the early 80's and watching a retail write-off of a large quantity of merchandise .. at times that included a number of Braun hairdryers. All had to be "destroyed" - with a hammer or whatever means expedient. These were made of some form of plastic (ABS I think), and I can attest that these were - well almost "indestructible". Full swings with a very heavy hammer against concrete managed only to gouge the surfaces and cause some distortion of overall form.

Lee