( OM ) (was) Re: [OM] Zuiko 200mm f/4; now aspherical lens

Subject: ( OM ) (was) Re: [OM] Zuiko 200mm f/4; now aspherical lens
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:58:57 +1200
Hi Rob,

I understand it to be as follows.

Usually the curved surfaces of lenses are a computed curve that is (part of) a
perfect spherical surface - as in a perfect marble or what-have-you.

The reason for using a perfectly spherical surface for all non-flat surfaces is
that they are *much* easier and cheaper to machine. But this restriction
brings a cost in less-good performance.

Aspherical lenses, as I understand it, are  non-flat surfaces that have a curve
to them that is NOT part of a perfectly spherical surface. Thus, aberrations of
various kinds can more easily be computed out of the lens overall formula,
BUT the cost is in the machining - grinding, polishing etc. This may be why
some aspherical lens elements are plastic - they can be moulded, thus
reducing the cost of machining the element. The clever machining is done
but once - to the mould.

If I have this wrong, folks - I'm sure you will tell me <g>

Brian