Re: [OM] HTML problem for AOL 6.0 users

Subject: Re: [OM] HTML problem for AOL 6.0 users
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:48:44 -0700
T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Mike Cormier wrote:
>

>> The oddest thing happened to me a day or 2 ago.  Somehow I
>> was automatically  un-subscribed from the list.  (I didn't
>>  do it myself) Just got back on  now...
>> ????????????????????????????????
>>

> One of the wonders of hotmail is, that the mailbox quickly
> runs full and mails start to bounce.
>
> On this list, each undelivereable message results is a bounce
>  to me. That, unfortunately, happenes a lot to list members,
>  filling up my mailbox with lots of bounces. If it happens
> that an address causes bounce messages for about 24h or so,
> I unsubscribe the address not to be flooded.
>
> That is what happened to you. Nothing mysteriously about it,
> really. Just a concequence of me not having infinite
> bandwidth and diskspace for receiving and storing bounces :)

One of the nice features of Mailman list software is that it tracks this stuff automatically and the list admin doesn't have to do anything about it -- every week on the lists I admin, dozens of hotmail users have their mail delivery turned off automatically.

It also seems to have better mime-stripping scripts available -- the bicycle touring list I admin has at least as much traffic as this list, and I don't think there's even one false-positive for MIME each week. stripmime will even strip the non-ASCII segments off of multipart messages, letting the text part get through to the list. That's also handy for anti-virus protection -- the list simply can't pass on binaries of any sort.

--
Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/