Re: [OM] close-distance correction

Subject: Re: [OM] close-distance correction
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:22:48 -0700
Hi Zuiks,

I have got a technical question. Only now (I am really ahead of time
here.) I noticed that some lenses like the 2.0/28, 2.0/24, 2.0/21,
and the Macro lenses have floating elements for close-distance
correction. The 2.0/35 does not have it. Still the 2.0/28 and the
2.0/35 have identical minimum focus distances. Mmmmh, I am wondering
what that means?

In which focal range does it actually matter whether the lens has
floating elements or not?

Thanks and greetings, Thomas

Not all the macros have the close focus floating element.  I think
only the fast ones that are intended to be used for general
photography in addition to macro use.  It seems to be also used on
the faster versions of  wide angle lenses.  Since aberrations are
usually reduced by stopping down, I suspect that the floating element
is there to try to reduce aberrations introduced by going to a wider
aperture. The slower lenses probably do not need it except in extreme
close up like the 50/3.5. I think the 35/2.0  is probably not so wide
or close focusing to need it.

You do raise the question which I have had.  What is close focus
aberration and what does it look like?  I don't think I have seen it
with my carefully corrected OMs.  :-)

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby