Re: [OM] [OT] What is a computer?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] What is a computer?
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 23:30:49 +0100
Cc: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Umm, when I flew Jaguars in the late 70s, it had 32k of RAM and a
50Hz computer.  When I flew the Tornado in the mid 80s it had 64k of
RAM, and the iteration rate was a little higher.  I don't think that
they have more than 256 of RAM now in the Tornado GR4 (but I may be
wrong) and the digital map for the pilot (the nav still has the old
raw radar display with projected map display in the back, either or
both) uses a little hard drive housed in the skin of one of the
intakes.  You make do with the space you have.

On the same subject (of computers) I was an operator on an IBM
360/135 after I left school in 1973.  It was used by Morgan Guaranty,
a merchant bank, in the City of London and had no VDU.  All the
inputs were by keyboard (with its own printer) and punched card.
Guess how many rooms that 135k computer took up...!

Chris