Re: AW: [OM] the downside of a ball head...

Subject: Re: AW: [OM] the downside of a ball head...
From: Michael Zimmet <mzimmet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:11:04 -0400
> I've been looking at the Manfrotto geared heads for a while and
> resisting - maybe I can't any longer !

The Bogen 410 geared head (I don't recall its model designation in
Manfrotto-speak) tempted me, as I wanted a head I could use for
mounting my 80mm telescope to my Bogen 3036 tripod.

A quality geared head would permit me to manually track astronomical
targets with a minimum of backlash. No way a typical 3-axis or pistol
grip head would work as well.

Since I already had a 3126 head, and a 410 would've set me back around
$200, I compromised on a Celestron Deluxe Slow-Motion Control, which I
was able to find via Astromart for $40, including shipping, in like
new condition.

The 3126 + Celestron isn't quite as good as a 410, but it's okay. (I
tried the non-Deluxe version once, and it was unacceptable.)

Oh, and at the risk of shifting topic, I can't praise the Bogen 3036
tripod highly enough. I wouldn't tote it around while hiking, but
where portability isn't required it's terrific. Stable enough for even
large format cameras. Versatile. Backed by a first rate company. And
not outrageously priced. (Mine ran me $119 from KEH. KEH rated it as
"exc." Frankly, the only thing distinguishing it from brand new
condition was an inconsequential 3/4" scratch on one of the legs and
some signs of cosmetic wear on the rubber feet. Had I bought a new
tripod, it might well have looked this worn after a week of ordinary
use.)
--
Michael