Re: [OM] ( OM ) Colour cast of lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Colour cast of lenses
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 20:07:26 -0500
At 00:50 6/11/02, Ian Manners wrote:
Hi Brian

>For once in my life I get the feeling I have too many similar lenses. Maybe if I >wait a while this feeling will go away. In the meantime I think I will just lie
>back and bathe in it and enjoy it while it lasts.

I just line them all up, look at them for a while (the lens), then put
them back in the airtight container with the silica. I then open
the cupboard up and look at my collection of bodys, I dont
use them, just the enjoyment of the sight :-)

>Must get out and use them more.

Must sort them out and sell some.

Just got back a roll of Scala 200X from the lab in Florida (by USPS and it wasn't "nuked" in either direction). Burned it using the Contax IIIa RF with 50/1.5 Sonnar (circa 1954). The first half of it was shot using an orange filter and the second half using a B+W 470 (essentially a cyan; a.k.a. a minus-red). The results using the orange and the tonal separations it created were interesting but much as I had anticipated. The B+W minus-red images though are stunningly different! Looking at them this evening reminded me of how each lens has its own unique character.

While I can look at the Contax IIIa with its 50/1.5 Sonnar and marvel at its mechanicals, it's the practical exercise of its capabilities that gives me the greatest appreciation for its design, and the effort that went into creating it.

Don't be afraid, use some of them. The morale of your body and lens will improve. They'll feel as if they're making a useful contribution, and you can marvel at their magnificent capabilities compared to the automagical Wunderziegeln that are supposed to be so superior. :-))

-- John