[OM] Hola!

Subject: [OM] Hola!
From: jochen.schiffler@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jochen Schiffler)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 00:30:46 +0200
Thanks Brian and Hello everybody!

I guess I?m infected, too. Bought my first OM-1 with 50/1,8 on eBay several
months ago primarily for astrophotography (which I didn?t actually do much).
A second followed short after because it was a bargain (approx. 50,- $US)
and in better shape.
Just two days ago I added a Zuiko 21/3,5 and a Tokina 80-200/2,8 (225,-
?/175,- ?) and I already made a (long) list of the OM-bodies, equipment and
Zuiko-lenses I might need in future.
No, I am not ashamed about Tokina. IMO it?s the best third party lens
manufacturer.

Unfortunately the Olympus market here in germany is not as 'alive' as it
seems to be on the other side of the atlantic.
Last week I walked in the biggest(?) photo store in Cologne and besides
Nikon and Canon, especially Minolta is dominating the used market. One gets
the impression Minolta stuff is crap 'cause everyone is selling this stuff.
It?s maybe <50ly stuff out there and decent equipment is hard to find.

I?m also a bit jealous about the possibilities to repair and overhaul OM
stuff in the US. I mean Photoshere still (?) having  some OM-2S circuits,
Camtech (I already saw some of John?s postings here) and so on. (OM-2S is on
top of my wishlist right now, she?s so sexy). I don?t know where in germany
I could get such things done and I?m a little afraid of sending my babies
alone on a trip overseas (Maybe I should send them both so they won?t feel
that lonely).

Well, I enjoy my new illness and this seems to be the right place to talk
about it (so far as one can call a mailing list 'a place'). I feel I?m
likely to enjoy this :-)

Here?s a quote from an August 1998 photo.net thread that caught my attention
an hour ago:

"Olympus is still out there...just because they don't make a traditional
autofocus camera everyone thinks they're out of business. But they do have a
small but loyal following." (by Scott Gant)

I like that thought: "...small but loyal following." Sounds like we?re the
fellowship of the film ;-)

g?night
Jochen

http://www.schiffler.net
(I apologize for the german/english language mix on my site, it?s a mess)