Re: [OM] Slide projector

Subject: Re: [OM] Slide projector
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:59:07 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, mike blayney wrote:

> As a Zuikoholic in the early stages of the disease,

Don't worry...it will develop. Give it a little time, and make sure to
consult Gary's lens tests from time to time :)

> I've been shooting print
> film for about a year now and am planning to move to transparancies (mainly
> because I never quite know what I'm going to get back from the print
> processor).

Hmm...I started doing slides seriously after seeing some of Giles
brilliant work with the 35-80. Really good, and gave me an appetite for
slides. Now, if only I was as good a photographer as he is....

> Although we have quite a few slides from the 1960s, my wife's
> not keen as she remembers small slide viewers and the necessity of lugging
> projectors out etc!

I heard that argument when I started doing slides too. Turn it positive,
and drop suggestions on what would make good xmas/birthday presents. That
way it will not affect the zuiko-funds :) It actually works beyond
expectations...

> I rather fancy the look of the Novamat M330 as it acts both as a viewer
> using a ground glass screen and as a projector. Does anyone have any views
> on this projector? Is it good value for money, reliable? Would I be better
> spending the money elsewhere? Would it do justice to Zuiko glass?

I have (I think) this projector - at least it's a fairly new novamat with
ground-glass. I got the one with IR control, and it is really nice not to
have a wire to push ower coke-bottles and coffee cups :) The fact is, that
when we're just the two of us watching slides (which is most of the time),
it's too bothersome to set up a big screen. The backlit ground glass
produces a very brilliant and reasonably big image. It is plenty big for
two to watch, and much more impressive than prints....

I definitely have not regretted the purchase. As for the quality of the
optics, I am satisfied. It is not a "stellar" lens, but for the purposes I
use the projector (just at home), it is sufficient.

On a side-note: after seeing the Kodakchromes projected (as alternative to
a tiny viewer), it now happens that we're two using of the K25 stash in
the refrigirator.....

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering