Re: [OM] lens and film contrast

Subject: Re: [OM] lens and film contrast
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:19:56 +0800
It is not simply a personal taste, I try to express what I think about
a reproduction system. There is no real contrast reproduction on
earth, a 8 stops light different will not express as 8 stops different
in a print, it is always compressed.

The film is designed to reproduce scene for optimal display, which
should be based on most general lenses. Consumer negative and one hour
lab usually has higher contrast as they target on cheap P&S cameras
where the contrast of such lenses are usually lower.

I'm sure many lenses design are not optimized for maximum contrast,
most of them are with contrast reduce to make their contrast in the
"normal" range (the "normal" is also related to film). Please don't
confuse with flare performance, a low or medium contrast lens does not
mean they are more easy subject to flare in backlight.

Just some examples why I think the contrast is independent of lens
element and looks like that they are specially designed to reduce the
contrast. my Zuiko 50/3.5 MC only has five elements, but the contrast
is similar or even lower than the 28-48, 35-105 late version and
85-250 Zoom which has much more elements but on the other hand the
35-70/3.6 has lower contrast.

On the other hand I don't think adding something to reduce the
contrast of a lens is a good option. A lens designed to optimize the
contrast will be my choice. So that 21/2, 24/2, 35/2, 50/3.5, 85/2,
75-150, 180/2.8 are all my favorite lenses.

C.H.Ling