Re: [OM] lens and film contrast

Subject: Re: [OM] lens and film contrast
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:31:57 -0700
I disagree!  If photography is an art and not a science, then the only
criterion for deciding what is a good lens and what isn't is whether you
like the results it gives you.

Roger

Isn't that a little like painting with one color because you don't like all that scientific mixing of pigments? Is there more art in getting a beautiful soft low contrast picture every time you put on THE LENS and getting the same look each time or taking a picture with a very good lens and making the finished print look the way you want it. Sure you can make art with extreme limitations, more capability gives the artist more options. A camera is after all a technological device. And a better device usually gives the artist more control which is why I think that an OM camera is a better device for artistic photography than most of the autoeverything camera genre. In a sense, a soft, low contrast lens is an auto lens. It makes everything that way all the time. Like welding a filter to a lens.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?