Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and automatic exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and automatic exposure
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 21:38:36 -0500
At 03:15 PM 6/9/2002 -0600, you wrote:
 I was just thinking about what happens when you take long exposures, and I
was wondering something:

 Say I'm taking a photo in a dark room; I set the aperture, focus, press the
shutter release.

 The OM sits there adding up light until it thinks it's had enough, and then
closes the shutter again. Let's say it took 15 seconds for this to happen,
and that I'm using Ilford HP5+ film. According to the Ilford datasheet, I
should actually have exposed the film for about 55 seconds instead -- that's
a fairly large difference.

 How do I get around this?

If I know that I am going to be in reciprocity failure territory, I am almost by definition going to be shooting in auto mode, so I dial in some factor of + exposure compensation. In practice, I usually cover it with two plus brackets -- + 2/3 bracket and +1 and 1/3.

Joel W.