Re: [OM] 25mm extension tube...how to use?

Subject: Re: [OM] 25mm extension tube...how to use?
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 13:36:58 -0400
Cc: pdxgirl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated Wed, 5 Jun 2002  1:14:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Andrea
<pdxgirl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>My cranky mailman just dropped off a 25mm extension tube.  On the eSIF, I
>see that it can be used with the 50mm lenses for macro work, but are there
>limitations on what other lenses one could use it with?  Would there be any
>advantages/disadvantages to using it with, say, a 24 or a 28?
>- Andrea

25mm is a lot of extension for a 24 or 28. Remember, total magnification is the
ratio of the amount of extension to the lens focal length. 25mm extension gives
greater than 1:1 magnification with a 24mm, and probably gets you to 1:1 with a
28mm if you add the extension built in to the lens helicoid. At 1:1 with a 24mm
the focus point might be inside the lens. I've occasionally used a 7mm tube
with my 24/2 and that's enough extension to bring me to within a fraction of an
inch of the lens front element.

I find the 25mm more useful with longer lenses, like the 200/4 and 300/4.5.

Paul Schings