Re: [OM] [OT]silica/silicone

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT]silica/silicone
From: "John Wheeler" <wheelej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:03:00 +1000
Know it well. My little engineering shop of 1962-84 machined 2000 of those
V8 crankcases for Leyland Australia. The power unit was fitted to their P76
saloon, an excellent car but poorly marketed. We got the job at the end of a
downturn in the metal trades industry in Oz (early '70s) and we were just
about on our uppers when the contract was won. Leyland had commenced
production of the engine but were short a few units on the new transfer line
in their main machine shop. We had taken delivery of a new NC horizontal
machining centre which was lying mute with no work. Within days we had two
shifts going and within two months the business was up and running again.
Halcyon days!

John.