[OM] rabbit/self-timer/no K64

Subject: [OM] rabbit/self-timer/no K64
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 19:04:56 -0300
Rabbit: Sorry, Brian to hear about the loss of your pet. I don't have any
pets, but do have a 9 year old son. Just last evening I was thinking I
should get a picture of him watching the hockey game, but never got around
to it. He is not a couch potato when watching sports. When watching hockey,
for example, he sets up 2 pillows on the floor for a net, gets a plastic
stick and a soft ball, and proceeds to mimic most of what he sees on the
screen. He does this in some way for every sport he watches. He rarely sets
down any time during a game. I was thinking this stage of his life will soon
pass. Thanks for the reminder to get it on film.

Self-timer: Well I was out today finishing a roll of Kodachrome 64 on the
OM2s, shooting a waterfall. To get some blur, I mounted it on a tripod, and
stopped down the lens fully, and tripped the shutter. Faint click, then a
few seconds, and another click. Oh no, the shutter stayed open way too long.
Checked everything, tried it again, same thing. Tried battery check, seems
okay, so tried a third picture. Same thing. Now I've ruined 3 pics, grossly
overexposed. But the real worry is, what's wrong with the camera? Oh oh,
hoping this a battery problem, and not a circuit problem. Back in the
vehicle, about to change batteries, then I see the problem. I had
inadvertently activated the self timer. The roar of the waterfalls had
drowned out the sound of it. I like my 2s, but the self timer switch is
"cheapy", kind of out of character with the rest of the camera. One thing
Olympus got right on the OMPC is the self timer switch. (Okay, imho.)

K64: On the way home, I dropped off some films at the local Kodak Image
Center, including the K64. The young lady behind the counter asked if I
wanted doubles on it. I said, No, this is Kodachrome, a slide film. She
looked at me kind of funny, then I realized she didn't even know what it
was! I had to explain to her what it was. Guess I'm getting old. :-(   And
no, they couldn't sell me any more as they don't carry it.