Re: [OM] Lens mounts

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens mounts
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 22:44:09 -0500
Larry wrote:

> The chrome plating only would cause the surface to have less friction, if
> polished, and protect from surface rust (if a cast iron block, - though I'd
> guess an airplane block to be aluminum). It is not really adding any strength
> the engine internals, and depends on what it is plated on. Brass is still
> soft,
> and will stay soft.
>
> Larry

Chrome plating of the lense mount has two purposes, one protect the
brass from corrosion, and, two provide improved abrasion resistance.
Brass is relatively soft and wears easily.  Chrome is very hard and and
very wear resistant.  A brass only mount would soon become loose, a
properly chrome plated mount will outlast the rest of the camera.

jerry Liles